Criminal Justice Reform
I have spent most of my adult life working in the criminal justice system. Having owned and operated a successful substance abuse treatment center for over 5 years now and offering services state-wide I have a great understanding of our criminal justice system and where we can improve. Recently I worked with Rep. Shurtliff on criminal justice reform legislation that was supported by prosecutors and public defenders. Too often when we hear “criminal justice reform” we hear a them vs us mentality. We are a community and I plan on introducing legislation that puts the interest and safety of all Utahns to make Utah’s criminal justice system something that can be an example across the country.
- Grants to municipalities that have a high diversity rate to implement community relationships with the police.
- Address the problems and unethical practices of predatory probation.
- More oversight and accountability on the Department of Human Services (DHS) and the Justice Reform Initiative (JRI).
- Work with our local elected and community leaders to improve race relations with our police officers.
- Supporting our county and municipal law enforcement in the fight against gang violence and the opioid epidemic hurting our communities.
- Improve our drug prevention and DARE programs in our schools to create meaningful and lasting results.